How to apply for driving license : If you want to drive your motor vehicle on Indian roads, you must have a valid driving license issued by the Regional Transport Office in your state. You can easily apply for driving license using two modes i.e. online and offline as per your convenience. Also, you need to keep in mind that before getting a driving license you have to first get a Learner’s License. Here, you can understand the complete procedure to use both the modes for Driving License as well as Learner License.
|| What are the benefits of applying for driving license online? ||
However you have the freedom to choose online or offline mode as per your convenience. If you want to get your license easily and fast then you can opt for an online mode. Take a look at the benefits that you can get while applying for a driving license online.
It Saves Your Time: When you apply for driving license online, you don’t need to spend your time to visit RTO office to apply. You can do it online in just a few minutes.
Reduces Inaccuracy: When you apply for a license online, you have complete control over its application. You can ensure that all the details entered by you in your form are correct and complete. As a result, you reduce the chances of error by RTO personnel transcribing handwritten forms on the computer system. No inaccuracies means you don’t have to waste your time getting your license repaired later.
|| What documents are required while applying for driving license? ||
Whether you apply for driving license offline or online, you will need certain documents which are as follows:
- Proof of age like (Birth Certificate, PAN Card, School Certificate, Passport)
- Address proof like (utility bill, payment slip, bank passbook, ration card, voter ID card, passport, life insurance policy)
- Aadhar Card
- Current residence proof (electricity bill, bank statement, telephone bill, etc.)
- State RTO centres, or portals provide the following forms:
- Application letter
- physical fitness declaration
- Application for grant of driving license
- medical certificate form
- 1 passport size photo
➥ If you are a diplomat/foreigner/physically disabled/refugee, carry the following documents:
- passport copy
- visa copy
- citizenship proof
- resident permit proof
- Medical certificate from country of origin
- physically handicapped certificate
- diplomatic evidence
- Learner’s License Copy
Online process to apply for driving license-
To get a driving license, first you have to get a learner’s license. If you have a learner’s license for at least 30 days then you can easily get a driving license. After that, you can file your driving license application online by following these easy steps.
Firstly, visit the Sarathi website of the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways https://parivahan.gov.in/parivahan/ and then follow the steps given below.
- On your left side you will see the option under “Driving License” on visiting the website.
- Then, select the option “Apply Online” and select “New Driving License” from the drop-down.
- Now, you will be displayed the instructions to submit your driving license application form. Please read the instructions carefully and click on the “Continue” button to proceed.
- After clicking the “Continue” button, you will be asked whether you have a Learner’s License, Foreign Driving License or Defense License. Tick the appropriate box and proceed.
- Based on your selection above, you will be asked for Learner’s License Number/Foreign DL Number/Defence License Number.
- Now enter your date of birth in DDMMYYYY format.
- After filling the desired information, please click “OK.
- In this form, you will be asked to fill in the details like your full name, age and address.
- Once you have filled all the details, you will be asked to upload all the required documents like address proof, age proof and identity proof.
- You will also be asked to upload your passport size photograph and your signature. You have to keep the scanned copies in the same handy.
- After uploading all the documents, you will be asked to choose the time for the appointment of your driving license. Select the date and time when you will be available to visit RTO office directly and appear for your driving license test.
- After making the payment and submitting your driving license application form, your application will be successfully forwarded to the RTO.
- On the day of your appointment, make sure you arrive a few minutes early and take your test.
After completing their form and reviewing the information, the applicant can submit the form online by clicking the ‘Submit’ button at the end of the form. Finally after submitting your form, an auto-generated web application number will be displayed on the screen. Please note down the number for future reference and to check the status of the application.
Offline process to apply for driving license-
You can also apply for driving license offline by visiting the nearest branch of RTO office. After that, you have to fill the required documents and submit them along with your application form. The documents you will need are identity proof, residential proof or proof of citizenship. Once this is done, you need to visit the RTO office avail for your online test.
How to apply for Learner’s License?
Applicants who want to apply for Driving License must first apply for Learner’s License. It is a provisional license which is issued by the Regional Transport Office (RTO) depending on the vehicle class. To apply for this license people have to fill the application form and submit it along with required documents and fee. People can apply for Learner License online at RTO website.
Conditions to be met while applying for Learner’s License-
Applicant’s age should be more than 16 years for getting license for two wheeler and above 18 years for four wheeler.
Learner’s license holders can apply for driving license after 30 days of issue of their learner’s license.
Learner’s license holders must apply for a driving license within 180 days (6 months) of the issue of their learner’s license.
Procedure to Apply Online for Learner’s License:
The way you apply for driving license, applicants can also apply for learner’s license through the website of RTO (Regional Transport Office). To start the process, you need to fill the application form and submit it. Apart from this, you can also book an appointment for your driving test, all from the comfort of your home.
Documents required to get Learner’s License:
The following documents have to be uploaded with the application form:
- Physical Fitness Declaration (Form 1)
- passport size photo
- Medical Certificate (Form 1-A)
- Address proof such as passport, ration card, life insurance policy, voter ID card, affidavit before a public notary or judicial magistrate.
- Proof of age such as passport, voter ID, birth certificate, school matriculation certificate, life insurance policy, or affidavit before a public notary or magistrate.